Is Fluoride Bad for You?
As a San Diego Holistic Dentist I Often get the question. What’s so bad about fluoride? Well it turns out that fluoride is very toxic. Did you know that fluoride is in our toothpaste, in our environment, in our water? It’s even turning up in our food.
So exactly what is so bad about fluoride? The fact is that fluoride is a very toxic element. It poisons the body. The body can’t develop proper enamel when it’s present. It can’t grow and get proper cartilage, and fluoride severely affects the brain in a developing child and lowers the IQ. These are from large population studies.
Fluoride is a very poisonous thing. There’s no minimum daily requirement for fluoride. You do not want it in your body. Mother’s milk does not have fluoride in it, but we’re getting more of it in our environment and so it’s a big question to ask. There’s fluoride in the toothpaste, and we know when children brush their teeth, they invariably swallow some of the toothpaste. Right on the toothpaste box, there’s a little warning that if a child swallows more than a pea size amount, that you should call Poison Control.
Fluoride goes to the stomach and mixes with the hydrochloric acid present there. It changes to hydrofluoric acid. Hydrofluoric acid is very bad. The child gets a tummy ache and comes to you and says, “Mommy, I have a tummy ache,” before bed. Well, it’s very possible the child does. So remove access to fluoride for children.
“Does fluoride stop tooth decay?” that is very questionable. If it does, the risks may outweigh the benefits.About Grant Layton Filed under Holistic Dentistry, Layton Dental Blog